OpenSearch is a distributed search and analytics engine based on Apache Lucene. After adding your data to OpenSearch, you can perform full-text searches on it with all of the features you might expect: search by field, search multiple indices, boost fields, rank results by score, sort results by field, and aggregate results.
OpenSearch Dashboards is the default visualization tool for data in OpenSearch. It also serves as a user interface for many of the OpenSearch plugins, including security, alerting, Index State Management, SQL, and more.
Try OpenSearch with Docker Compose
The best way to try out OpenSearch is to use Docker Compose. These steps will setup a two node cluster of OpenSearch plus OpenSearch Dashboards:
- Setup your Docker host environment
- macOS & Windows: In Docker Preferences > Resources, set RAM to at least 4 GB.
- Linux: Ensure
vm.max_map_countis set to at least 262144 as per the documentation.
- Download docker-compose.yml into your desired directory
- Have a nice coffee while everything is downloading and starting up
- Navigate to http://localhost:5601/ for OpenSearch Dashboards
- Login with the default username (
admin) and password (
For artifacts of all components of the project, see our artifacts directory for a complete list or a list just for this version.