Dev Tools is a development environment that lets you set up your OpenSearch Dashboards environment, run queries, explore data, and debug problems. You can use the Dev Tools console to:
- Set up your OpenSearch Dashboards environment. For example, you can use the console to configure authentication settings for your OpenSearch Dashboards instance.
- Run queries to explore your data. For example, you can use the console to tune your queries for relevance.
- Debug problems with your queries. For example, if your query is not returning the results you expect, you can use the console to identify the problem.
- Learn about the APIs in OpenSearch. For example, you can use the API reference documentation linked in the console to look up the syntax for different API calls (select the question circle icon ()).
- Develop custom visualizations. For example, you can use the console to create Vega visualizations.
- Customize the appearance and behavior of dashboards. For example, you can use the console to customize dashboard visualization colors or to add new filters.
To access the console, go to the OpenSearch Dashboards main menu and select Management > Dev Tools. An example is shown in the following image.